Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Revlon colorstay: normal/dry skin versus combination/oily skin

Revlon colorstay foundation comes in two types -  normal/dry skin and combination/oily skin. You might think "well, I'm just going to buy whichever one fits my skin type so why do I need to read a review on them?". I thought it might be useful to tell you guys the differences between them in case you have in-between skin or you have oily skin in summer and dry in winter.

First of all, the combination/oily skin one has a strong scent to it that smells pretty similar to wall paint. Yeah, like the actual paint that people paint their walls with. If you don't like strongly scented makeup it might be a problem. I could smell it on my skin even after I put it on and it set. This one also made me break out a bit. The sensitivity of my skin to breakouts is about average, but different ingredients in makeup break out different people so it really depends on the person. It also dries VERY fast when you apply it, so you have to work with smaller areas of your face at a time instead of just putting it all over your face and then blending.  If you're not careful putting this on, it can also look a little cakey. Also, the coverage of this one is a little bit more full than the normal/dry skin one. Finally, it did stay on really well. I wore it when I went on vacation to Hawaii and was doing a lot of outdoor activities and hiking. In warm weather I have oily skin, and I was surprised at how matte this kept my face without even reapplying powder or anything. It really does stay on until the end of the day. Be sure to take off your foundation completely at the end of the day if you use this or any long-wearing foundation.

The one for normal/dry skin goes on more easily. It doesn't dry super fast when you apply it and looks more natural. I wasn't too impressed with its staying power compared to the combination/oily skin one, but my skin gets a little oily throughout the day so if you do have dry skin it'll probably stay on better. It has an average foundation smell instead of smelling like wall paint. It did not break me out. It had a little less coverage than the combination/oily skin one.

As for application tips, I think a damp sponge works best for the combination/oily skin one since it does dry so fast and can look a little cakey using the average brush. You can use the average wedge sponges you get in a bag at the drugstore, or a beauty blender/beauty blender dupe. Also, even if you have oily skin, moisturizing before putting on the combination/oily skin one will help it to look more natural and go on more easily.
The normal/dry skin one doesn't really require any special tips as it's more easy to work with and closer to the average foundation formula that most people are familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment